$120,000-$140,000 annually depending on experience
Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Casual Time Off, 401(k), HSA, LTD, Life Insurance, Paid Holidays
The Associate Counsel will work directly with the leadership team as well as teams across the organization with a focus on overseeing all aspects of the company’s legal needs. This position will assist Covered in protecting its legal interest and maintaining its operations within the scope established by laws and regulations. The position’s primary focus will be on identifying and analyzing legal issues, drafting key documents, presenting clear recommendations, and ensuring legal compliance.
- Collaborate across the organization in contracting processes, and manage negotiations and requirements for contracts and service agreements.
- Manage resources to coordinate information needed to develop effective contract negotiations with current and future partners.
- Support respective stakeholders in handling contract negotiations and conversations keeping the company's best interests in consideration.
- Develop, review, and provide legal advice on the company’s contracts and legal documentation.
- Act as an ambassador to outside legal counsel and internal teams.
- Partner with Sales and Business Development, to standardize contract process, workflows, decisions, and act as collateral to support large volumes of inbound contracts.
- Create, implement, and maintain internal and external privacy policies
- Collaborate internally to manage legal requirements for legal language on website, marketing materials, and communications.
- Builds and maintains relationships with diplomacy and by providing insightful, timely, pragmatic, and proactive counsel.
- Educates self and business partners on legal developments affecting business and provides innovative strategies to address those developments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education
- 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in house counsel at a financial services firm, insurance company, regulatory agency, or a combination thereof is required.
- Experience in contracting and business law is required.
- License with the American Bar Association is preferred.
- Notary certification is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of computers and other office productivity tools, with aptitude to learn new software and systems.
- Generous with time spent building relationships with team members, partners and customers.
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative member of a team.
- An appreciation for a transparent, open and honest working environment.
- Must value accountability and dedication to producing an excellent end result.
- Values the importance of representing and protecting the company’s cultural DNA.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Job Functions (Must be able to be performed with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Work Environment: This position is primarily based in an office environment.
- Physical Demands:
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
- Possess visual acuity in order to see a computer
- Must possess manual dexterity in order to produce quotes on a computer, and other information needed by clients
- Must to able to speak with clients, partners, and internal staff
- Must be able to hear clients, partners, and internal staff
- Work Schedule: Full time. Position pay require employee to work various shifts as necessary to support company objectives
- Occasional travel (less than 25%) might be required
- Work Location: Covered’s headquarters in Denver, CO. Position is eligible for remote work upon employee meeting certain criteria.
At Covered, we are focused on making insurance easy to understand and painless to purchase. We combine intuitive technology with a human touch to help consumers quote, compare, and purchase multiple insurance products in minutes. By partnering with lenders, financial institutions and fintech companies, we deliver our personalized embedded insurance marketplace to their customers. If you are looking for career opportunities within a growing company built by a compassionate and solutions oriented team, you have come to the right place.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT DESIGNED TO COVER OR CONTAIN A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF ACTIVITIES, DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES THAT ARE REQUIRED OF THE EMPLOYEE FOR THEIR JOB DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES MAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE.